Friday, January 11, 2008

Identity Unknown

I really wonder some days about this world that we live in. There are so many people who go through their lives without an identity. I struggle with my own identity. I know I am not a woman who will twirl around and turn into Wonder Woman. I think I am expected to be that some days. I am defending myself with those silver bracelets. People seem to toss out these horrible words at me that I need to defend against with those bracelets. We have a disenchanted youth which has no idea who they are supposed to be. They are so sensationalized to everything around them. It is no big deal to see some person get murdered on screen. It has all become a normal occurrence. There are those who play video games to come up with an identity. They don't live in the real world any more but the world which exists in that realm of thinking. Then there are the women like myself who struggle to stand up to the pressure to be incredibly skinny.

Is it any wonder that most of the celebrities are drinking to subdue the pressure of an unrealistic society? I look at what happened to Britney Spears as such a tragedy and also the result of such high expectations on her. I would hate to live under such a microscope and in front of the cameras. How could you ever find out who you are in all of that? I wonder if any of those celebrities out there know who they really are. I mean I barely know myself and could not even fathom being observed through a fish tank.

I think for myself I have made people's opinions my identity and that backfired big time. Opinions fluctuate so many times and you will never ever please everyone. The only relationship I had that gave me some idea of my identity was with Jesus. He sent people my way and gave me the acceptance I needed to show me who I am. I am still discovering that! It has become a journey which requires patience and a listening heart to discover my true identity. I will never be a superhero but I will live in supernatural thinking.

No comments: