Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How Do Celebrities Do it?

I decided to watch Entertainment Tonight and I am totally in amazement at what some of these celebrities go through. I watched as Britney Spears had her life thrown at us on screen. She has become a child of destruction and conversation. It is like this horrible train wreck happening before our eyes but you can't look away. I feel so sorry for her and yet here I am watching her. Dr. Phil tried to intervene to help her. That was all publicized. This poor girl can't go anywhere without paparazzi catching shots of her. Is she enjoying all this attention or is she just in a state of breakdown? Whatever the reason, I couldn't help but tell myself that I am overjoyed that I am not her.

I live a relatively quiet existence without any cameras following me. I may think some days people are watching me but that is just my paranoia and not an actual fact. When I was younger, I wished that I could be in a movie. I wished I could meet celebrities. It was a dream for this to happen. We all have our crushes growing up. I remember wanting to marry Shaun Cassidy or Greg Brady from the Brady Bunch. I was naive and all stary eyed and amazed at these people. I remember when I was 7 years old, going to see my first Disney movie. It was all so great. I even got to go to Hollywood twice and walked the stars of fame. I remember wanting to meet Tom Cruise and be in a music video. The allure was so fascinating. I had no idea what was beyond all the movies and what stardom meant.

Today, I am alot older and wiser. I realize now that celebrities are just normal people who have bigger problems than I would ever want. Sure they make all the big bucks (at least some of them do) but they pay big time for all of that. I am so glad I never pursued acting or ever went to Hollywood to become an actress. I wouldn't trade my life for anything in Hollywood, not for all the money in the world. I don't envy the stars that have grown up before our eyes or those that have big family names attached to them. With all the reality shows out there, I realize how some of those celebrities turned out. They have sunk to the reality show low because they still want the fame or don't have a choice. They need money. What happens when all the good looks and charm are gone? What are you left with? I think there are probably regrets to all of this. More and likely there is unresolved baggage and possibly an addiction. I see the celebrities either men or women who are in their forties and still not settled down. I think it is because they believe they will always have the world at their feet. They all believe someone younger or better will come along. I think that some of these people are going to end up alone because their life has become a movie that has no ending. They are living a false sense of truth. It isn't like that for everyone but for some of them it sure is. That is just sad.

I think the worst place to be is Hollywood. Now with the writer's strike, there are limits to what we watch. I am thankful for that because I don't miss some of these shows. Don't get me started on celebrity weddings. I guess that for me, I have gotten into a habit of praying for some of these so called celebrities. I believe that everyone needs prayer. I also think of celebrities being divided into two people, the one we see on screen and the real person. I probably will never talk to the real person behind the celebrity face. I guess that can be a blessing but it can also be a curse. God knows who each of them is and He still wants them to come to Him. Celebrity or no celebrity, they still need hope and a future that can be found in Jesus Christ. That gets beyond the movie/tv face to what is the real face. We all are celebrities in God's eyes. Actually, God doesn't care either way. That is so encouraging. I know He is watching me for sure.

No comments: